Friday, 10 April 2009

Diary Techniques

A while back I was reading a bit about professional journaling and reflective practice. This led me to Tristine Rainer's book, "The New Diary" and a book by Jennifer Moon on reflective journaling. Both books encouraged me to use diary writing as a means of expressing myself and gaining a better understanding of who I was and how I perceived the world around me. This was a process that started with my enrolment on a series of cognitive behavioural sessions last year. I was starting to re-build my confidence and find ways to tackle the anxiety and panic attacks that were blighting my life. A technique mentioned in these books was the use of intuitive writing. A method of by-passing left brain cognitive processing and relying more on the nebulous right brain. I should try this more often and develop this way of recording my experiences. It is a good way of cutting through the logical censoring of what I write.
Here are a couple of examples from earlier this year.



2nd February 2009


Going home light in sky, first time.
Farm road geese calling.
Many - how many? A sky full.
Stretching across the sky silhouettes.
Row upon row all calling.
4000? 5000? Going home
like Gullane, just like home.

4th February 2009

Overcast rain puddles.
Kamikaze girl in pink - lives on.
Umbrella day, heavy spray,
a surprise - 3 waxwings on rose hips.
A wave, security guard,
Each morning the journey.

5th February 2009

Whiteness of snow, new land
quieter, slower all around.
Good to walk this day, joking with postman,
laughs.
How many journey's like this to do
What then I wonder

23rd February 2009

Appearing like magic - rooks, many rooks
all in a line heading where?
On a mission, they know the way.
On and on they come in the fading light - surely that must be all
but no, here are more and still they come.
A mystery, another unique moment on the larger journey.
For them, for me.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, almost like a haiku but better less formal and freeing to do. I will have to check out that book for sure now. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog, discovered the waterboys at playlist today and could not resist! I have never climbed anything,( shame on me) I walk a lot though. My dad climbed in Skye when he was a young man, he climbed in the Cuillins. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your writing style. It is brief and yet paints a picture of so much more. Quite wonderful really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit, I thought I'd return the favour!:)
    Interesting looking blog, I shall enjoy a browse:)

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete